Our Tour Leader, Taras, is not just great at making sure you have an amazing experience while on tour, he is also a Ukrainian food specialist and master chef in the kitchen!
Although you can’t taste his delicious dishes in person right now, he wants to share two of his favourite recipes with you, so you can make them at home!
Here are his recipes for Ukrainian Green Borshch, and Lazy Perogies (Varenyky).
- 3-4 Potatoes (or can substitute with 0.25 cup of rice)
- 1 Carrot
- 1 small onion
- A bunch of sorrel
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. butter or 50ml oil
- 2-3 Chicken eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook:
- Hard boil your eggs, and set them aside to chill.
- Wash and clean the potatoes and cut into cubes, and peel and grate your carrot.
(If you are cooking with rice – rinse the rice a few times until the water starts to become clear).
- Put the potatoes and carrot to the pan, add 4-8 cups of water and boil for 20 minutes, adding a little salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, warm up the frying pan, and add the butter until melted. Chop the sorrel and the onion, and fry lightly in the butter or oil.
- Then add the sour cream, salt, and pepper to the pan and stir well.
- Add the sorrel mix to the pan with the potatoes and carrot/or with rice, and boil for a further 10 minutes.
- Slice your chill boiled eggs, and add them to the soup before serving.
- Enjoy! As we would say in Ukraine, “smachnoho”, or “Bon appetite!