Our Tour Leader, Taras, is not just great at making sure you have an amazing experience while on tour, he is also a Ukrainian food specialist and master chef in the kitchen!
Discover Ukrainian cuisine, try Taras’ mouthwatering recipes and check out his two best-selling cookbooks! Read more about Taras here.
The first dish Taras is going to show us today is sauerkraut, a fermented cabbage dish. This dish is easy to make, is nutritious, and delicious, and believed to have great health benefits!
Secondly, we’ll make some tasty potato pancakes, or “deruny”. These are a great dish to whip up, and can be eaten with sour cream or mushroom sauce. Yum!
Keep reading for our recipes for:
2) Potato Pancakes
See the full cooking class video for both recipes here.
Scroll further down for the recipes!
You can find this recipe in Taras’ Book “Ukrainian Cooking in Taras’ Kitchen” on page 74.
- 3 cabbage heads
- 1 carrot
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
You’ll also need:
- 1 Large jar, washed & dried
- Grate the cabbages & carrot on a grater.
- Stir the carrot and cabbage together, before adding the salt & sugar, and mixing again.
- Squeeze the juice from the cabbage, and scoop into a jar.
- Push down the cabbage in the jar with a whisk or spoon. Place a glass of water, or something heavy into the jar to press down on the cabbage and push up the water.
- Cover and put aside. Then, for 3 days, poke hole into the cabbage mixture daily to let air out.
- Leave for 1 week in a warm place, then seal the jar and keep in a fridge or cold place.
From your sauerkraut, you can make soup, salads or perogies! You can find all these recipes in Taras’ Book “Ukrainian Cooking in Taras’ Kitchen“.
Like our content? Sign up to our newsletter
You can find this recipe in Taras’ Book “Ukrainian Cooking in Taras’ Kitchen” on page 72.
- 6-8 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 150 ml vegetable oil for cooking
- Peel and finely grate your potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic. Beat the eggs and add into the vegetable mixture. Add in the salt, pepper, and flour, and mix to combine well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Using a spoon scoop out the mixture onto the pan into small pancakes, and fry on each side, until crispy and golden.
- Serve with sour cream or mushroom gravy. Enjoy!
Ukrainian cuisine is a delicious combination of traditions, history, and the abundance of our land’s natural wealth. Historically, Ukrainian cuisine and all the dishes we cook day-to-day combine many cultural and culinary influences from various European countries, whilst also being unique in themselves.
“Ukrainian Cooking in Taras’ Kitchen” provides a variety of recipes from across Ukraine to satisfy everyone’s appetite!
Christmas & Easter are beloved celebrations not only in Ukraine, but all around the world. These days are special, as they bring entire families together. Christmas Eve dinner usually consists of 12 traditional dishes – Taras lays out his favourite 12 Christmas dishes in this holiday cookbook, followed by a guide for the essential elements for your Easter basket. Enjoy traditions, holiday recipes, and time spent with family – cooking with Taras’ Kitchen!